ATA's Safety Council names annual award recipients
The American Trucking Association’s Safety Management Council recently announced its 2010 safety award winners at its Safety & Human Resources National Conference & Exhibition.
The awards and recipients included:
ATA President’s Trophy:
The ATA President’s Trophy recognizes the three companies whose fleets have been judged to have the best overall safety programs from the Truck & Industrial Safety Contests. These contests judge motor carriers from across the United States on their safety accomplishments and safety records relative to others within their operation type and size. The top three ATA President’s Trophy recipients are honored for their superior safety achievements, outstanding commitment to industry-wide safety and extensive promotion of safety among all highway users.
• Large fleet winner (more than 100 million miles annually): ABF Freight System, Inc., Fort Smith, AR.
• Mid-size fleet winner (between 25-100 million miles annually): Dupre Logistics, LLC, Lafayette, LA.
• Small fleet winner (under 25 million miles annually): TCW/Tennessee Express, Nashville, TN.
ATA National Driver of the Year:
The National Driver of the Year recognizes one professional truck driver for his/her exemplary accomplishments and excellent driving attributes, including the driving record, willingness to assist others on the highway and/or other community service and heroic deeds.
• ATA National Driver of the Year: Anthony “Tony” A. Jones, Central Freight Lines, Houston, TX.
National Safety Director of the Year:
The National Safety Director Award recognizes a motor carrier safety executive whose professional qualifications, safety programs and achievements are deemed most outstanding among his or her peers.
• National Safety Director of the Year: Dean Newell, CDS, Maverick Transportation, North Little Rock, AR.
Excellence in Safety:
The ATA State Association Recognition Program is designed to applaud those state trucking associations affiliated with ATA, which effectively foster and promote highway safety programs within their borders for the greater good of the trucking industry and all highway users.
• Excellence in Safety Recipient: Colorado Motor Carriers.
Leadership Award: The Safety Management Council’s annual Leadership Award recognizes the individual who has gone above and beyond in supporting and promoting the council; who has provided constant input to the executive director; and who has led the council membership in advancing SMC programs, membership and outreach.
• Leadership Award Recipient: Patti Gillette, Colorado Motor Carriers Association.
ATA’s Safety Management Council is a national organization of transportation professionals involved in safety and human resources management for motor carriers and interested organizations. It aims to advance highway and workplace safety through programs, research, education, training, communication and peer interaction.
The American Trucking Associations is the largest national trade association for the trucking industry.